Max depth rating of 140mm of 4 inch acrylic tube

Hi team,

I’m building a housing for my 360 4K Orah camera with the 4 inch Cast Acrylic Tube. The tube length will be 140mm long, which includes room for the flanges with the metal end plates. What would be the max depth (crush) rating the housing could withstand?

Thanks for your help!
Mick Woodman

Hi Michael,

We use Under Pressure to calculate the theoretical depth ratings for our enclosures. For this one, the unsupported length is about 100mm, which is the length between where the flange supports the tube.

According to Under Pressure, the tube will have a crush depth of 518 meters.

However, the flat end caps will have trouble at that depth. Those are rated to 400m and can start to bend a little after that.

I hope that helps!

Best regards,

Sure does! Thanks for the information on the end caps. The max depth I plan to operate to is 300 metres. That will give me a sizable safety margin. I will post some more photos as the build progresses.

Knowing that, maybe you can use a thinner section pipe now? Save you some cash, thats for sure! And improve your optics a little i would think.

Hay Rusty
we are trying to get a handle on the weak link pressure wise for the BR2 with the heavy kit. according to your post the endcaps crush at 1312ft and the acrilic tube crushes at 1699’ how do you determine a pressure rating knowing the crush depth? we have dove to 300’ with it with no problems and have 670’ of cable. be nice to know if we can take it to 500’ without taking too big of risk

Thanks

Hi @deepquest!

The ROV is rated to only 100m due to the penetrators. We do have customers that have taken them deeper, but they are heavily modified vehicles! We would not recommend taking the BlueROV2 to 500m. I hope this helps!

1 Like