M200 Motor + ESC Calibration

Hi all!

I am trying to calibrate the M200 Motor + Basic ESC with a Holybro Pixhawk 6X FC. I have been following the M200 Motor Guide, but I ran into an issue with Step 3: Sending the Signal.

I bought a Power Distribution Board that connects to a 14.8V LiPo battery, the ESC + Motor, and the Pixhawk. Once I connected the LiPo battery, I heard the 3 beeps (rising in pitch) that indicates power on. However, when I tried plugging in the white ESC signal wire and black ESC ground wire into the Pixhawk, I heard the three rising pitch beeps again, indicating the ESC was receiving power. As a result, we were unable to hear the two beeps that indicate either (1) the detection of a throttle signal or (2) the correct 1500 microsecond signal.

Is there something I am missing that should be done between steps 2 and 3 in the M200 Motor User Guide? I read that there wasn’t any calibration necessary with the ESC, so I assumed we could just plug it in and it should work, but it seems I am running into some issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi @agh9989 -
What firmware is running on your pixhawk? Have you connected the ESC to a channel that is an output for whatever frame type you’ve selected? Finally, the ground of the battery connection at the ESC must be connected to the same ground of the pixhawk…
No calibration is required, just the correct 1500us servo pwm to initialize the controller.

Hey Tony,

I am running the rover firmware and have the Basic ESCs connected to channel 1/3 on the Pixhawk. How should I provide the 1500us servo PWM to initialize the controller? I thought that my transmitter would be supplying the 1500us signal, but I am not sure at this point. Is it possible to send a 1500us signal through Ardupilot MissionPlanner?

Hi Aaron - the ESCs sound like they’re properly connected - assuming you’ve not reversed the signal and ground pins! Are you trying to use an RC Transmitter? Is this connected to the Pixhawk and working as expected (can see sticks move in controller calibration menu?)

We don’t typically use MissionPlanner, but prefer QGround Control for ArduRover control. What frame have you configured for your vehicle?

Hi Tony,

Sorry for the late response! I was actually able to figure it out. I think it may have been due to some configuration settings that I did not set up for this to happen. Thank you for the help regardless!