Home        Store        Docs        Blog

Future higher power motors in development?

(Nicholas) #1

I am curious to know if there are any plans to make higher power thrusters? Crustcrawler is selling these ones that supposedly make 15lb of thrust for $979. I bet you can beat that with your fully submerged technology.

(Rusty) #2

Nick,

We’ve got larger thrusters in our sights and we will definitely have something available in the future. I’m curious what thrust range you’d be interested in?

I’ve seen the CrustCrawler thrusters and I haven’t tested them myself, but I have to say I’m surprised by the data sheet specifications. According to the datasheet, the maximum usable power is 150W. If it actually gets 16 lb at 150W then it’s beating the efficiency of every other thruster on the market by more than double. It’s also using a smaller propeller, and at 150W, it would have to be near the ideal propeller efficiency to get 16 lb. Even the best propellers rarely get above 50-60% of ideal efficiency.

If it achieves what the datasheet specifies then I am impressed.

Best,

Rusty

(Nicholas) #3

I don’t believe the Crustcrawler numbers at all. I think they are printing the prop ratings and pretending that those are the thruster ratings. Which is VERY dishonest. At least they put the motor power rating so you know the thrust number is BS. That’s like saying my 1988 Toyota Camry can go 150 miles per hour because I put Z rated tires on it.

I would be interested in a motor up in the 1 HP (750W) range, maybe more. Maybe 50V 15A. I know its going to be a doubly hard problem since hobby grade square wave esc are ineficient in high power applications like this, and most of them aren’t rated for continuous duty at full power. It’ll have to be a combined solution like the blue esc, since you can’t dump 100W x6 esc into the electronics enclosure. Big challenges, but I think there is also a bigger market because that is where industrial ROVs start.

I also might be able to help if you like, my schedule is pretty flexible.

(Rusty) #4

Nick,

I think that power size is just about right for a larger thruster. We’ll definitely have to figure out the ESC part if it is designed to run on 48V, which is likely.

If you’re interested in helping, shoot me an email at rusty@bluerobotics.com and we can talk about it.

Best,

Rusty

(Tom-Vidar Salangli) #5

Rusty, When you ask for the power of a future bigger thuster, I hope for one which, when using two, can push a diver up to 4 knots.
E.g the Jetboots spec:

JDPS Specs Dry Weight: 20 lbs with 30V, 16.7 Ah battery Thrust: 0-50 lbs, fully variable Speed: 0-4 knots Range: 2-10 nautical miles, depending on conguration

http://www.idexuae.ae/exhibitorlibrary/1953/p3_jdps_2.pdf

• Tom-Vidar Salangli

(Harold Scadden) #6

Are they rating their thrust of 0-50 lbs for each thruster or is that the combined thrust from the pair?

(Tom-Vidar Salangli) #7

That I don’t know, but I guess the more the better :slight_smile:
How many lbs would be needed to give a diver speed around 5 knots?

(Rusty) #8

Okay. Most diver propulsion vehicles (DPVs) have 50+ lb of thrust.

-Rusty

(Alan) #9

Hello BR

Any new developments on this front.

Must have more power Scotty…

Alan

(Rusty) #10

Alan,

We don’t have any news about it right now but we do have plans to do that in the future. Sorry!

-Rusty

(Richard) #11

Rusty, beware of straying from your core business.

(Rusty) #12

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the warning. We will be making larger thrusters for our core business. If they happen to work out well for other applications, like this one, then that’s great too!

-Rusty