Experience with underwater modems

I’m interested in hearing real world experience using underwater acoustic modems. I’m interested in Blue Robotics’ modem and any other third party hardware you might have experience with.
In my application I’m primarily interested in the greatest range for sending commands moreso than a high data transmission speed.
Would love to hear about your experiences.
Thanks,
-Matt

1 Like

Hi @MattHixson, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I don’t have personal experience with acoustic modems unfortunately, but hopefully some community members can chime in with their experiences.

We don’t make our own, but we’ve partnered with Water Linked to sell their M64 Acoustic Modem (link to our product page, with technical details), and there’s a post describing its setup and usage here:

Thanks, Eliot. I see the peak current on the datasheet of “216 mAh at 12V”. (Shouldn’t that be just mA rather than mAh?)

I’m wondering what the current consumption is when it is listening for a connection.

Thank you,
-Matt

Indeed - thanks for pointing that out, I’ve corrected our technical details table.

I’m not sure if that’s been measured - I’ve asked the Water Linked team if they have data for that. For what it’s worth, the 216 mA value seems to have been calculated from the 2.6 W Power Consumption value in the datasheet (2.6 \text{W} / 12 \text{V} \approx 216\text{mA}), which I’ve now also added to our technical details table.

Following up on this: