BlueRov Heavy R3 update to PI4 / Navigator Flight Controller / BlueOs

Hi,

I have a BlueROV2 Heavy R3 that I would like to upgrade from the existing Raspberry Pi 3 / Pixhawk setup to:

  • Raspberry Pi 4 / Pi 5?

  • Navigator Flight Controller

  • BlueOS

Before ordering the hardware, I would like to make sure that I have all the components required for the conversion.

The ROV also has the following equipment installed:

  • Newton Gripper

  • Ping1D sonar

  • Standard camera tilt

  • Standard BlueROV2 lights

My main question is:

Which additional components are required to upgrade a BlueROV2 Heavy R3, besides the Raspberry Pi 4 and Navigator Flight Controller?

In particular, I would like to know whether I need any additional components or adapters, for example:

  • JST-GH / DF13 adapter cables

  • power or power-sense cables

  • sensor cables or adapters

  • special mounting hardware

  • different connectors

  • cables or adapters for the Newton Gripper

  • cables or adapters for the Ping1D

Can the existing R3 components, especially the power sense module, depth sensor, camera, lights, Newton Gripper and Ping1D, be reused directly with the Navigator / Raspberry Pi 4?

Or are there any R3-specific cables or adapters that I should definitely order at the same time?

I am aware of the Navigator Retrofit Guide, but I would like to make sure that I can order everything needed for a BlueROV2 Heavy R3 in one shipment and avoid discovering during the upgrade that I am missing a specific cable or adapter.

If there are any other recommended hardware changes when performing this upgrade, I would also appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Hi @divebubble -

I’m at a loss for what information you’re not finding in the Navigator retrofit guide!

The adapter to re-use your power sense module is included, as noted.

Also as noted, “The JST GH to DF13 adapter is only required to connect the R1 version of the Bar30 sensor (red bulkhead) to the Navigator. The R2 version of the Bar30 (black bulkhead) can be connected directly to the Navigator without an adapter.”

Read the guide closely and your upgrade will go quite smoothly!

Thank you very much for the clarification. That really helped me.

English is not my native language, and I simply overlooked the note about the red Bar30 sensor when reading the retrofit guide. Your explanation makes it much clearer now, especially regarding the power sense module adapter and the Bar30 versions.

I’ll go through the guide once more carefully before ordering the parts.

Thanks again for taking the time to point this out.