Home        Store        Docs        Blog

Battery Selection

(Ben) #1

One of the suggested batteries for the T200 is a 14.8 V 10000 mA*h, with a max amp output of 100 amps. My concern is the max input for the T200 being 25 amps. How is it that this is a recommended battery? I am worried if I hook up a max current battery over 25 amps that I am going to burn a very expensive T200 motor.

(Richard) #2

10000 mAH is milli-amp hours, or 10 amp-hours; none of which has anything to do with the current drawn by the T200. This is the battery capacity. The battery is capable of 10 amps for 1 hour. If you run the T200 at 10 amps (look at the curves in the specifications) it will run for 1 hour. The 100 amps you are referring to is the max current that can be drawn from the battery without damage. You could do this for 6 minutes before going below 10.6 volts. The amount of current drawn by the T200 is a function of average voltage applied by the ESC, not battery capacity or max current capability. Hope this helps.

(Ben) #3

AHH! Thank you sir, that makes much more sense after reading into the battery and the numbers involved. thanks for the valued feedback!

(John Griffiths) #4

Has anyone tried attaching 3 inch wtcs to the main wtc purely as a battery container? it doesn’t seem as though you can get enough battery crammed into a single 4 inch wtc along with the electronics and cabling to give much operating time. I was also wondering how difficult it would be to run individual thrusters off individual batteries?

(Richard) #5

John,

My very successful ROV (USR-1) (see my pictures in the build forum) runs each thruster (3-T100’s) off of individual 5200 mah LiPoly batteries, all contained within a 10 inch long 4 inch WTC. The battery capacity is more than enough to give me several hours of bottom time. Since I am doing mostly video photography I don’t run the thrusters a lot or at very high speed. Keep in mind that the T-100 thrust capability is way overkill for a 4 inch X 10 inch WTC. In fact, for my use 1700 usec pw is the maximum I ever use. Also keep in mind I do not use any form of stabilization, which will increase the battery capacity requirements. It is easy enough to set your system up for quick battery change-out on station rather than trying to cram big batteries in the 4 inch enclosure.

Hope this helps.

Richard

(John Griffiths) #6

Thanks a ton, Richard. very helpful. Impressive build on your posted video and I was most intrigued by your controller. your build as well?

(Paul) #7
Has anyone tried attaching 3 inch wtcs to the main wtc purely as a battery container? it doesn’t seem as though you can get enough battery crammed into a single 4 inch wtc along with the electronics and cabling to give much operating time. I was also wondering how difficult it would be to run individual thrusters off individual batteries?
Yes, that's exactly what I've done with my build (documented here: http://marinesimulation.com/?page_id=1571). A 10 amp/hour LiPo from HobbyKing fits perfectly.

(TCIII) #8

@Paul,

I have a separate 4" WTC for my two 3S 5000 mahr LiPo batteries. If I had been using the standard T100 Thruster instead of the BlueESC Thruster I could have easily gotten four of the 3S 5000 mahr LiPos in the 4" WTC. This is because the Battery Distribution board for the Thrusters takes up about 1/3 of the length of the WTC.

With two 4" WTCs on my ROV Chassis, which is constructed of 1/2" thick HDPE, the chassis is just awash when placed in my Association’s swimming pool which will guarantee that the HOV will surface without the use of Thrusters.