Battery Selection

One of the suggested batteries for the T200 is a 14.8 V 10000 mA*h, with a max amp output of 100 amps. My concern is the max input for the T200 being 25 amps. How is it that this is a recommended battery? I am worried if I hook up a max current battery over 25 amps that I am going to burn a very expensive T200 motor.

10000 mAH is milli-amp hours, or 10 amp-hours; none of which has anything to do with the current drawn by the T200. This is the battery capacity. The battery is capable of 10 amps for 1 hour. If you run the T200 at 10 amps (look at the curves in the specifications) it will run for 1 hour. The 100 amps you are referring to is the max current that can be drawn from the battery without damage. You could do this for 6 minutes before going below 10.6 volts. The amount of current drawn by the T200 is a function of average voltage applied by the ESC, not battery capacity or max current capability. Hope this helps.

AHH! Thank you sir, that makes much more sense after reading into the battery and the numbers involved. thanks for the valued feedback!

Has anyone tried attaching 3 inch wtcs to the main wtc purely as a battery container? it doesn’t seem as though you can get enough battery crammed into a single 4 inch wtc along with the electronics and cabling to give much operating time. I was also wondering how difficult it would be to run individual thrusters off individual batteries?

John,

My very successful ROV (USR-1) (see my pictures in the build forum) runs each thruster (3-T100’s) off of individual 5200 mah LiPoly batteries, all contained within a 10 inch long 4 inch WTC. The battery capacity is more than enough to give me several hours of bottom time. Since I am doing mostly video photography I don’t run the thrusters a lot or at very high speed. Keep in mind that the T-100 thrust capability is way overkill for a 4 inch X 10 inch WTC. In fact, for my use 1700 usec pw is the maximum I ever use. Also keep in mind I do not use any form of stabilization, which will increase the battery capacity requirements. It is easy enough to set your system up for quick battery change-out on station rather than trying to cram big batteries in the 4 inch enclosure.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Thanks a ton, Richard. very helpful. Impressive build on your posted video and I was most intrigued by your controller. your build as well?

Has anyone tried attaching 3 inch wtcs to the main wtc purely as a battery container? it doesn’t seem as though you can get enough battery crammed into a single 4 inch wtc along with the electronics and cabling to give much operating time. I was also wondering how difficult it would be to run individual thrusters off individual batteries?
Yes, that's exactly what I've done with my build (documented here: http://marinesimulation.com/?page_id=1571). A 10 amp/hour LiPo from HobbyKing fits perfectly.

@Paul,

I have a separate 4" WTC for my two 3S 5000 mahr LiPo batteries. If I had been using the standard T100 Thruster instead of the BlueESC Thruster I could have easily gotten four of the 3S 5000 mahr LiPos in the 4" WTC. This is because the Battery Distribution board for the Thrusters takes up about 1/3 of the length of the WTC.

With two 4" WTCs on my ROV Chassis, which is constructed of 1/2" thick HDPE, the chassis is just awash when placed in my Association’s swimming pool which will guarantee that the HOV will surface without the use of Thrusters.