Lake Coeur d'Alene 4/23/2021

I went back to Lake Coeur d’Alene last weekend. The water was still at the lower winter level and the visibility is about half of what it usually is.

First dive I mostly played with the big rocks in the shallows. I tried to practice some precise maneuvers by going in the gaps between rocks. Obviously I still need a lot more practice.

I started playing with the advanced Ping360 settings around 53:58 to see how the image changed.

Second dive was more interesting. My dad was there with me so we went out to the little water pump to see how much algae was on it, then I went exploring around the area to look at logs. It was a good environment to demonstrate the basics of how to read the sonar image.
It’s interesting to note that the GoPro can hear the motor in the Ping360 whenever I disarm the thrusters, like at 16:32.

I should have some access to a boat on this lake this summer, so there should be some great adventures in the next 6 months. We know where 1 shipwreck is and I’m going to have to do some research to see if I can locate more.

1 Like

Interesting stuff, and some really cool shots!

Cool to see an exploration of the parameters. That is something that’s not super well documented, so good to have an example of at least one live deployment situation - thanks!

There’s not much other sound in the water, and with the GoPro and sonar both being mounted to the ROV it’s no huge surprise that the vibrations travel across. Definitely a bit of fun, although turning my volume up to hear the sonar stepper meant the thrusters turning back on right afterwards came through rather loudly :stuck_out_tongue:

That sounds awesome - hope you have a bunch of fun, and manage to capture some footage to share with the rest of us :slight_smile:

I can start playing with the settings during my dives from now on if it would be helpful. I would even be happy to share the replay data files.