Fibre cable for 4k camera

Greetings all,
new to this forum and wondering if anybody has played with fibre optic tethers, I am thinking of adding one to the bluerov2 as an additional 4k camera. 300m is where I need to go and fibre hdmi seems to jump some hurdles.
feedback would be great

ricci

Our robotics team uses fiber for Ethernet and video over Ethernet (some latency is to be expected). To use fiber, you will need a media converter at each end. In your case, an HDMI media converter. Strain relief is required near your penetrators. Water can travel down fiber, just like it can any other cable, so you’ll need to decide how to handle that. Direct burial cable has protection against water intrusion, but you can just use ordinary fiber as well. Since the splice tooling is expensive, you may want to have a company make your cables for you with the penetrators already slid onto the cable. Don’t drop anything on the fiber. It can be bent faily tightly, but doesn’t like impacts. You’ll need to consider what fiber standard to use. Any of the fiber standards will go the relatively short distance you require.

Hello Ricci,

I sell GigE to fiber modules, fiber tether and fiber repair kit.

Would you consider 4k GigE camera instead of HDMI?

My fiber connectors are inexpensive, quick and easy to install. No polishing required.

Cheers,
Etienne

HELLO ETIENNE
THANK YHOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE, I AM OPEN TO ANY IDEAS REGARDING THE 4K CAMERA. THERE IS A TWISTED PAIR AVAILABLE BUT I DO NOT THINK THERE IS ENOUGH BANDWIDTH AVAILABLE AT 300M.
DO YOU HAVE MORE INFORMATION AVAILABLE PLEASE.

KIND REGARDS

DR RICCI WALKER

HELLO,

THANK YOU FOR GETTING BACK TO ME, GOOD INFORMATION HERE.
I WILL DO SOME EXPERIMENTS AND REPORT BACK

CHEERS

RICCI

Which camera are you looking at?

Greetings,
I don’t have one in mind so open to suggestions and flexible.
There are so many board and split cameras, its hard to pick. I have a 50mm by 130mm tube available with viewing dome. I have a fathom-s and a low light hd1080p auxiliary camera.

many thanks

ricci

Hi Etienne,
Your module does just ethernet? is it possible to get some RS as well?
Regards,

The module does only Ethernet BUT via ethernet you can push anything you want.

This is the reason why I chose this media as well as being directly compatible with BR2.

You can push rs232 and rs485 through the raspberry PI via a USB to 232 converter.

The Bluart does just that https://bluerobotics.com/store/comm-control-power/tether-interface/bluart-r1-rp/

I am building the following ROV for a client which requires RS485 for the Sonar and altimeter as well as RS232 for the CP probe.

All my cameras are IP FHD and fit inside the 2inch housing.

I am planning on making a GigE camera before the end of the year. I am waiting for feedback from camera manufacturers.

Cheers,
Etienne

Hi Etienne,
Once you plug a RS device to the raspberry, How do you manage to have it at the surface?
Do you install the software into the raspberry and you stream it?

You can use port forwarding

Read this thread: Using the routing feature in 192.168.2.2:2770/routing to connect to USB devices on the Raspberry Pi
It really depends on the device and what you want to achieve.

Else, you can use arduino + ethernet shield

1 Like

Have a look at this post I just created: How to get bi-directional 232 devices through the ROV

2 Likes