Charging and Cycling Power

I am in the beginning stagear of designing the internals of my WTC for electronics and battery. I’m trying to figure out what the best practice is for charging the batteries and cycling power. As I am currently thinking, it would be required to remove the battery WTC end cap each time to charge and plug it in. I’m sure there is a better way to do it.

Can someone point me in the direction of some examples on this? … or is it just not a big deal to remove end caps after each dive??

Thanks!

What in the world is a WTC? World Trade Center? :slight_smile:

WTC = Water Tight Container

Oh, thanks.

I am interested in this topic too. I plan to build a drop cam powered by Lipo batteries this summer and wondered about charging methods and by the possibility of corrosive gas discharge during charging. I had envisioned a battery pack mounted on a printed circuit board which could be slid in and out of the WTC on guide rails. That may be unnecessarily complex though.

Randy, from all my experience with Lipos you shouldnt need to worry about any gas emisions. Unless the battery is going to be submeged for months on end or something like that and is being charged/discharged improperlyou.

I could be wrong, but just my .02.

Well if that is the case then charging with the batteries contained inside the WTC should be very doable. Just provide an electrical penetration in the vessel (bulkhead fitting) with a water tight screw cap for sealing. Maybe banana plugs for charging current? Seems quick and easy unless I am missing something.

I guess I’m referring to a way to isolate the battery from powering the devices while I’m charging it. I get how to run the cable from the battery WTC to the electronics WTC, but just thinking of the best way to have a separate charging circuit in the mix.

Wouldn’t the control device (Arduino, Raspberry, etc.) isolate the charging current from any other devices if it utilized I/O switching and it was dormant during the charging process? I am in a steep learning curve here but isolation utilizing I/O inputs should be easy to do. If not, then disconnecting the battery from other devices with a simple relay should be doable I would think.