Home        Store        Docs        Blog

A challenge in the deep

(Richard) #1

This is what you can expect when you get your ROV into the real blue, the ocean environment. On yesterday’s mission I had 2 aborts: one to unstick an impeller due to sand buildup, and the other to unstick an impeller due to a stuck shell. Notice the blade erosion taking place due to sand. It is what you endure when you go deep. A plug for the T100’s: they can be stalled and not be damaged.

(Rusty) #2

Richard,

Thanks for sharing! During this mission did you spend time at the bottom and suck a lot of sand and shells through the thrusters?

-Rusty

(Richard) #3

Yes, to do video work of the reefs it is necessary to be very close to the bottom. Our reef bottoms here are very sandy and full of small shells. Once you set the ROV down on the bottom for video recording, to allow the environment of living creatures to settle and relax, you have to run the vertical thruster to get off, and that is what really stirs up the sand and shells. Luckily your thrusters will stall without damage.

(Rusty) #4

Richard,

Okay. I’m curious if you could add legs to the ROV to give it a little standoff distance and minimize sand disturbance when ascending. We try to keep our vertical thrusters high for the same reason.

-Rusty

(Richard) #5

Legs would definitely help to avoid the sand, and may well be installed in the future. Adding legs, adds more drag and more chance of entanglement, though.

(Paul) #6

I’m with Rusty on this one. True, a protective frame (or legs) will add some amount of drag but the alternative is to leave the thrusters completely unprotected, and you’re seeing what happens when you do that. If the photo in your avatar is your ROV, you would have a very hard time flying with a silty bottom and/or in any amount of weeds. I would strongly recommend you add a frame (or legs) of some sort.

(Richard) #7

Gonna do it.