Working in below 0 degrees Celsius?

Hi,
I wanted to know if there would be any reason that any of the components shouldn’t work at -2 degrees celsius? Especially T200, Ping1D and Lumen lights. The working temperature seems to be down to 0, but is this just what the test goes down to?
Thank you.

Kind regards
Nicklas
Mechanical engineering student

Hi @Nicklaslb,

Our minimum operating temperatures are generally based off test-to-success at the low end of our testing, rather than going low enough to measure statistically significant failure rate increases. That said, we don’t provide guarantees for our products outside their specified operating ranges, so using them in those conditions is at your own risk.

Potential issues I can think of for low temperatures are:

• reduced material toughness, and corresponding higher risk of cracking
    • probably most relevant for hard plastics like Lumen lenses and thruster propellers
    • can be mitigated by avoiding collisions, drops, and other strong vibrations
  • high pressure from water freezing in small spaces
    • could cause cracks / breakages on re-exposure to cold air
    • could prevent thrusters from turning, or add friction until the rotation is fast enough to warm the thrusters and melt the ice
    • potentially relevant for thruster rotors and propellers
  • material stresses due to non-matching expansion or contraction of different parts
    • particularly relevant during fast temperature transitions
    • my main potential concerns would be the Lumen lenses and the Ping Sonar transducer, but it’s possible both could be fine