Tether Quick Disconnect

I was thinking that but wasn’t sure if the SEA CON pigtail would fit the BR penetrator or not for the 8 pin version.

Looks like the SEA CON pigtail is 12.7mm and the BR penetrator is only 10mm
I suppose could run the BR tether out and then splice the pigtail externally. But was trying to minimize the number of external splices.

Just drill a hole big enough to accommodate the bulkhead receptacle. On the rear of the flange there is a face seal O-ring. Believe me, that O-ring will hold a seal long before the housing collapses.

I just installed a Micro Wet-Con 4 pin to be able to disconnect my tether. I did not drill the whole, i just used a 7/16-20 UNF tap and made threads in the endcap. I secure it with a nut on the backside even if the threads became tight and good. If you do it this way the whole will more or less have the same diameter as before and you can actually use 10mm connectors as well if you want to use the original penetrators at a later point.

3 Likes

Good idea with the tap, that sounds like a pretty reasonable solution. I like it and I may just go and make the mod. I’ll probably have to go and take apart my endcap anyway.

Finished with the QD and used a 4-pin Wet Con. This gives me a extra twisted pair inside the enclosure. I splized a Y-split so i can have the other two spare pairs in another mini connector on the outside of the 4" enclosure if i in the future want to attach a sonar or water linked system. I installed one of the small 7-pin connector that Paul bought and showed us. i think it is a better solution to keep the splice as small as possible and to “hide” it in the sub. to minimize drag in the sea. there is also a bigger chance to get stuck it you have a big splice hanging behind you while flying around

![DSC_4806|281x500](upload://1MCK8PiCUBByHvGdemN5ILnHbOi.JPG)

6 Likes

Hi everyone.
I found it at a Japanese dealer.
They seem to be offering waterproof connectors already constructed.
It seems expensive but it is very interesting.

1 Like

I bought a bunch of the season 2 pin connectors to use with the fathom x but for some reason cannot get my fathom x’s to talk to each other. any ideas?

Hi John,

Which wires in the tether did you connect the SeaCon connectors to? Are you sure the two wires aren’t being flipped somewhere in the connections?

-Rusty

Hi Rusty
I am away from my work base and cant recall exactly but I think I connected the brown wire to the black and white to white on an openrov tether.

rjehangir Rusty Blue Robotics Founder
January 4 |

Hi John,Which wires in the tether did you connect the SeaCon connectors to? Are you sure the two wires aren’t being flipped somewhere in the connections?-Rusty Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
In Reply To

johng John Griffiths
January 4 |

I bought a bunch of the season 2 pin connectors to use with the fathom x but for some reason cannot get my fathom x’s to talk to each other. any ideas? Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond. To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

just remembered that I had tried it also with just the connectors and no tether with same result.

rjehangir Rusty Blue Robotics Founder
January 4 |

Hi John,Which wires in the tether did you connect the SeaCon connectors to? Are you sure the two wires aren’t being flipped somewhere in the connections?-Rusty Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
In Reply To

johng John Griffiths
January 4 |

I bought a bunch of the season 2 pin connectors to use with the fathom x but for some reason cannot get my fathom x’s to talk to each other. any ideas? Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond. To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

The info on this forum is great - Thanks. I used the SubConn 8 pin splice with the Scotchcast. Then a SubConn bulkhead 8pin on the ROV. Went 1/64" larger than the 7/16 thread and it worked well. No issues using a drill press. In retrospect I am wishing I put a Kellem’s grip on like @SHS.

3 Likes

Hi Bluerobotics team,

Is there any expected release day for the BR quick disconect?

Regards,
LG

I have also tested this connector a few times now and they will do the job. I use this connector on my sonar and i had a dive to 100m for a few hours and i had no issues. It is important to mention that i overfill it with cilicone just to be sure that there will be no water in it.

Hi Mark, did you find a solution? Bulgin have circular connectors that are rated IP69k which is more than enough for your application, their standard series is actually tested to 100m for 12h:

http://www.bulgin.com/media/bulgin/data/Standard_power.pdf

Yes we used the SEA CON 8 pin connector.

1 Like

Hey are you able to give us more information on that stainless piece your tether secures to? (what it is, and how it fastens).
It looks really clean.

Hi Rusty,

Any schedule for the release of a quick connect connector?

Eloi

Hi Eloi,

Is a bit expensive, but the MCBH8F + MCIL8M works really nicely with the BlueRov 2

-Jordan

Hi Roy,
Are you using the Bulgin connector on the Sibius?
Thanks
Eloi