Testing the Echologger MRS900 Scanning Sonar

We tested the Echologger MRS900 Mechanical Scanning Sonar on the BlueROV2. Check out this video, filmed in low-visibility conditions. The scanning sonar allows you to navigate clearly despite the visibility issues.

The sonar was integrated by connecting the RS485 wires directly through the tether and viewed on the Echologger interface on the topside computer.

6 Likes

Rusty I’ve been trying to find a Echologger MRS900 for $6000 I’ve heard cost as low as $5000 any clue who I should contact?
Thanks

Hi Craig,

I would talk to Echologger directly. They’ve got good service and were easy to deal with in our experience.

-Rusty

1 Like

Hi @catfish I am also interested in this sonar so please let me know if you find a dealer for it that can sell it for 5000 usd.

@Svein H
Just got a Quote from Echologger the MRS900 is $6500 USD
and the MRS900L is $5900 USD

Thanks @catfish
I have send a mail and asked for a quote at the RS900 as well. Please update me if you are purcasing one of them. As i see it there is no need for the MRS900, the MRS900L or RS900 is the two that i will consider buying. Did you got thiese prices from a Dealer in US or from Echologger in Korea?

Sir,

How can I get the echologger interface in the topside computer. Which application do we need to install?Looking forward for your reply…

Regards,
Deepak

Hi @deepak

You need a RS485 to RS232 converter to be able to use it. I have used the UPORT 1150i MOXA konverter on several sonars.

Hi,

How to run Echologger MRS900 on onboard Linux system (Jetson). Let me know what are the libraries I need to install. I am trying to write autonomous navigation modules using the sonar data in onboard computer.

Thanks

Hi,

Is there a wiring diagram from the sonar side to the top side? and acquisition SW run in seperated as like Ping sonar?

Yosup.

Welcome to the forum @yosup :slight_smile:

From the Echologger website it seems like they primarily provide information on an “as requested” basis, so you’ll likely need to contact them for any particular details.

That said, the MRS900 product page specifies an RS232 or RS485 interface, so with RS485 presumably the wiring diagram would just be a twisted pair of wires (e.g. an unused pair in a tether) from the sonar to the topside, where it then needs to go through an RS485 to USB converter (like our BLUART), after which it can be plugged into a computer. Their News page mentions an API for the sonar, so I would presume there are existing display softwares that support that, but you’ll need to ask Echologger to be certain (perhaps they have a recommended one, or even one that comes with the device when it’s purchased).