Higher Current Power Sense Module

Hi,

We are trying to find a power sense module for high voltage and current.

BR Power Sense Module is not enough for us we had to find a module that has 250A max current sensing.

Is there any module with 250a max current sensing compatible with Pixhawk?

Thanks!

Hi @ugurdemirezen,

That’s a lot of power. I did some searching and found this discussion, but there didn’t seem to be a particular resolution. The closest they mentioned was this 180A one, which is now retired and the closest equivalent is this 90A one.

I asked internally and this 250A one was suggested, which may meet your requirements. Note that the cable they recommend has only 4 wires, and may need to be spliced with something like this cable to be compatible with the Pixhawk’s power port.

If that doesn’t work out I’d guess that you’ll either have to find something intended for industrial/large scale use cases (e.g. electric vehicles, home batteries, etc), or make one yourself.

Hi @EliotBR ,

Thanks for the information you provided! It is very helpful.

Do we have to do something to connect with mavlink or is it a plug-play stlye? I mean can we see the voltage and current values in qgc directly when we plugged the cable to pixhawk?

Thanks!

I’m not sure - I haven’t used it before, and the details aren’t obvious from the purchasing webpage.

I assume you may need to specify a voltage multiplier, amps per volt, and amps offset in the Power Setup, but I’m not sure what those values would be - you likely need to look at the sensor datasheet. If it’s not obvious from the datasheet then you can potentially try contacting the manufacturer :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know that the allowable amperage of the power sensor module currently on sale is 100A.
Do you have any power sensor modules with an allowable amperage of 100A or higher?

This place has some:

I don’t have any experience with them though.

Hi @HanJIK,

I’ve moved your post here because it’s on the same topic.

As above, and as @nperry suggested, Mauch-electronic is likely your best bet.

A post was split to a new topic: Power Sense Module questions

The Mauch-electronics page seems to be dead.
After some search I found a 150A(continuous) module here for anyone who is also looking for more powerful current sensor.

Hi @Vete, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

It does seem like they’ve changed their link structure. The web store is now available here:

although it seems that the 250A one I originally linked to is no longer findable (there look to still be some 200A options though).

Thanks for the updated link! 200A is even better.
It’s strictly not on 100% the topic but the combo unit with 2x200A current sensors (for dual battery) seems interesting with 400A main power switch. 030: PL - 2x 200A PDB / 10AWG – MAUCH Electronic
Does anyone have any experiences with these and/or know where could any documentation on these be found? Or do we have to ask about it from the MAUCH people directly?

Hey,

We developed a high V, high A power sense module for rotary aircraft a few years ago that may work for you. It has the normal plug and play power sense functions, and the same connectors for your flight controller. We added some extra features:

• 60V, 200A
• Dual 5V outputs, on separate rails from vBat to provide a little redundancy
• 12V, 5A output for sensors
• 9-30V, 10A tunable output for sensors (we used it at 18V for a LiDAR)
• Screw lugs for the battery and load connections
• Screw terminal / plug for the aux outputs

I believe it also had some logging features, but I can’t remember.

We can resurrect this project bin if anyone needs something like this.

I think I would include some of our new (unreleased) MOSFET switching onto the same PCB. We have a 200A MOSFET for the BROV2 or any other item in the 3 or 4" enclosures, and it may be interesting to combine them…

MOSFET Sneak Peek

200A switch would also be very interesting either integrated onto the same PCB or standalone.
When would you think the switch could be available?

We have a 90A Continuous / 200A max MOSFET switch available through FieldWerx that attaches to the o-ring flange in the 3" BLUEROV2 battery tube. See if this is something you could use:

ROV-Battery-Switch_4-scaled

ROV-Battery-Switch_1-scaled

1 Like