Too little buoyancy rear on bluerov2

Hello

After i have upgrade the bluerov2 main tube and the battery tube to aluminum i have discovered the bluerov2 is too heavy rear,not in the front. (I have only add 12mm Aluminum rod,two 8 pin seacon connectors and a gopro hero3 black with a aluminum custom House in front. (have also moved the battery tube Slightly back)

I have 3 Ballast Weight in the front,0 Ballast Weight rear.

Ther is possible to add more Buoyancy on the bluerov2,if the Subsea Buoyancy Foam have same measurement on inside the BlueROV2 Fairing.

Do you have any 3D CAD Models of the BlueROV2 Fairing on inside?

I have add more Buoyancy into the BlueROV2 Fairing rear (see pictures) is working,But i want to have a Whole bit of a R-3318 Subsea Buoyancy Foam,Which Fits exactly inside of the BlueROV2 Fairing.

I have CNC Router,sow i need only a 3D CAD Models of BlueROV2 Fairing on inside.

1 Like

Hi Roar,

I have attached a CAD file of the negative space in the fairing.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Best,

Jonathan

BROV2-FAIRING-NEGATIVE-SPACE.STL (678.0 KB)

Thank you Jonathan

Should buy some Subsea Buoyancy Foam R-3318 and try.(will try in wood or something else first,Subsea Buoyancy Foam R-3318 is A bit expensive)

I have now make two BlueROV2 Buoyancy,Which fits inside the BlueROV2 Fairing.

The R-3318 Subsea Buoyancy Foam thickness was 64mm,should have been 72mm. So I had to make two parts.(one part 60mm and the other 12mm)

3 Likes

@an-ron - Wow! Nice work. This is really impressive. I’m excited to see how it performs with the increased buoyancy. I think it will add a lot of stability and handle the aluminum tubes better.

-Rusty

this is a nice solution. I just spent some time doing some test in a pool and I ended with the weights in the same spot as you did. It made a huge difference but the back is still lower than the front and not balanced. I’ll get some foam and try your method out…

Thanks

I have now test these BlueROV2 Buoyancy,Which fits inside the BlueROV2 Fairing.

Original can lift 385 gram in freshwater.
Modified can lift 870 gram in freshwater.

4 Likes

I have now test BlueROV2 in swimming pool and the buoyancy which fits inside the BlueROV2 Fairing was not enough to lift it up rear.

Sow i have made a extra buoyancy (looks like a meat bone) With this the BlueROV2 is straight in freshwater.

!

[

1 Like

@an-ron - I am in the process of upgrading my BR2 to aluminum housings also. Hadn’t anticipated that I’d need more foam to float it so that could be an issue. I also find that the inside diameter is very slightly smaller than the acrylic tubes making assembling -very- difficult.

I have add one more buoyancy To lock the part and add one Ballast Weight rear.

The bluerov2 is now perfect.

@paul-unterweiser - The aluminum tube is slightly smaller ID. We did that to ensure the seal would work well at high pressures at 400+ meters. Unfortunately it does make it a bit tougher to install. I’d use plenty of silicone grease.

We’re also working on offering additional buoyancy to allow more payload when using aluminum enclosures.

-Rusty

I have now moved the battery enclosures longer forward after I had problems with the Gopro camera.

Sow the BlueROV2 buoyancy,which fits inside the BlueROV2 Fairing is enough to lift the rear up.
(with two 8 pin Seacon Connector,Lithium-ion Battery 18Ah and 12mm Aluminum rod.

@an-ron

Looks Nice. What connector are you using for the teather, it looks to be a bulkhead connector, Thanks?

it`s a seacon micro wet-con 8 pin bulkhead connector and micro wet-con 8 pin In-Line Connector.

The bulkhead connector,you need to make a brass rod with thread.

After i have turn the brass rod in my lathe, the size is:length 11 mm,diameter is 18,5 mm and you need to have 7/16-20 thread through.
I have also a O’ring between brass rod and aluminum end cap and use loctite thread sealing,you need to make 7/16-20 thread in the aluminum end cap to. (If you do not have a nut on backside)

Super, Thanks for the information.