Home        Store        Docs        Blog

Surface Controller

(undersearobotics.com) #41

@luisgamez - That’s a bit more involved that I was planning. You’d have to build it around an integrated computer and display. Definitely feasible, but I don’t think it would have enough wide spread appeal to make if worth while for us to build.

(Luis Gamez) #42

hey Paul!

It´s definitely the best controller I´ve found, I believe we do not need a touchscreen but to have an screen integrated in the controller with Gyro, Depth, water temperature and all the stuff being shown in the Qgroundcontrol might be very nice and feasible as Qgroundcontrol might be free.

Well that´s something I´d like to build but i dont kow if is possible to take the Depth, gyro, water temperature etc in real time from the computer.

any ideas to start?

Regards,
LG

(Etienne Demers) #43

Hello Luis,

I guess “best” is a question of personal preference. The one I designed is what is best for me from a commercial use standpoint.

I personally don’t like to have to take my eyes off the screen to check for vehicle data. I find its a horrible concept but to each his own.

What you are asking for is doable but would need a lot of work to achieve. I also don’t think QGround control is malleable enough to give you all this on-screen functionally. Best you could do is tap into the survey string and get the heading, depth, etc.

Cheers,
E.

(undersearobotics.com) #44

I used to fly a mini-ROV that had a video display (with OSD) integrated into the controller, and to be honest, there were a lot of things I liked about it. I liked that it was portable and because everything was integrated into the controller I had fewer things to carry to the dive site. But the display was small (so hard to share with other viewers) and the ergonomics were pretty clumsy (pressing multiple buttons while controlling the sticks and holding the controller were difficult). Plus it made expansion (such as adding a video recorder or linking to a laptop) difficult.

(Luis Gamez) #45

Hey @etienne I am fully agree with you that “best” is for personal reference, tbh the one that you have designed is pretty well done and I really like it but like @paul-unterweiser said having a display integrated with the controller could be more portable.

I am thinking about designing a especial Pelican case for carry on with integrated dedicated computer for Qgroundcontrol, 15" bright display 800 nits, and custom made controller. I believe with this package for the client will be seen more professional than comming with a laptop and Xbox controller.

For the custom made controller im thinking about something like the one you´ve fabricated but adding a display with some references: Thrust power at the time you pull the levers in percentage, flying modes manual, autodepth autoheading indicator while pressed, lights dimming percentage, gain percentage of the thrusters.

That just to start and after i realize how to get the data of gyro, depth and temperature i might add it to have something like the one I´ve shown before, but believe me for the clients these kind of controllers are well more good looking and more professionals.

@etienne Your controller is good and as said Ill try to start with something like that, do you have your components list? I might like to have a look.

Regards,
LG

(Etienne Demers) #46

I’ve added the shopping list to my previous posts. Some of the items I had at the shop so you’ll have to find those on your own.

Cheers,
E.

(undersearobotics.com) #47

Just finished building the first of the Mark 4 hand control units: http://marinesimulation.com/rovsim-surface-control-unit/