Rpi and Navio+

QGroundControl looks good. APM Planner on linux just sucks, but it talks as well.

Working on the raspbian ROS build for the stack…

And almost 24 hours later…still working on the build. Had to reinstall the entire ROS stack on the raspbian prempt-rt image … LOL long story. Almost done.

Banner day. successfully got mavros/mavlink compiled on the cctronics raspbian prempt-rt kernel image. I’ll try PCL tonight. baby steps, but looking very promising.

And…just confirmed successful build of the bluerov ros stack (minus pcl)

Here’s the near finished Navio+/RPi2 stack for the vectored ROV…

Loads getting PCL on to the wheezy debian/raspbian box, but finally got it. So all is happy, finally, with the BlueRov stack and the ROS / Raspbian Prempt-RT kernel builds. Now to test it physically.

One question for Rusty, Jacob, and Josh. I had to use the Navio make for ArduSub. I haven’t looked at the code yet, but I am assuming that I’ll need to make the adjustments as in the px4-v2-vectored build?

Hi Jim,

I’m glad to hear the build has been going well! The make targets are automatically generated from the defined board types and frame types (px4-v2, navio, bbbmini, etc and bluerov, vectored, etc), so you don’t have to make any additional changes.

-Rusty

You can make navio-vectored or navio-bluerov. It’s great that you have gotten this to work. I would be interested in getting an image from you for the pi. Which model are you using?

-Jacob

Jim,

I know Emlid updated their board to the Navio2 at the end of 2015. Any chance of getting that as an upgrade for your ROV? I’m looking at alternatives to the Pixhawk for when it goes out of production.

http://www.emlid.com/

Kevin

Kevin,

I’ve got a Navio2 and I’ll be testing ArduSub on it. The Navio2 code isn’t part of the main ArduPilot repo so we can’t pull in support yet but that should happen soon.

-Rusty

Sounds good Rusty, I like how we have options. I thought it would have been a simple code upload, but I’ll have to go do some reading in the documentation. I’m glad you and Jim know what is going on.

Kevin

Jacob, indeed. using the Navio+ with a 6 thruster 4 vectored, 2 vertical config. I’m going to patch up a fresh image, targets are cctronics raspbian image. emlid supplied image, and a patched prempt-rt ubuntu. Probably take me until the weekend for a fresh cctronics prempt-rt raspbian image and 1 or 2 weeks for the later images. I’ll make it a priority to get them up. Should we branch the repo or just have a separate repo for them? I thin a separate image repo may be best. Let me know. I’m also tracking notes for the build since it was a non trivial task in getting them up. We can add it to the docs repo when ready and the images have been verified and what not.

Eitherway, awesome.

As for the Navio. The more I play with it the more I like it. Pixhawks are, well, we’ve seen some non-deterministic behavior on our quads at work, lol. So we are actively looking at replacements at similar price point. There’s the Naza and A2 flight controllers, but…I think we will eventually start using the space rated, mil spec stuff, but that’s at a seriously heightened cost, and not really needed for ROV/AUV work at this time, if every lol. The point being, the integrated arm board with a gpio accessible INS solution is very attractive.

And now that I’ve forgotten the point of the post, I’ll leave it at that.

Hi Rusty,

I’ve got mine Navio2 few days ago and my BlueROV is on the way. Does ArduSub already support it or should I start with instructions from Emlid? Did you manage to get it work with groundstation, pi cam and all the sensors?

-Grega

Been out for a bit. I have a clean RPi2 image almost ready. Just need to get PCL happy. I’ll post the link to my repo with the image once I’m done. More to come…

Grega,

ArduSub already supports Navio2 but hasn’t been tested much. You should be able to use the stock Navio2 image available from Emlid, clone the ArduSub repository, and build directly on the Raspberry Pi.

I’m planning to put together a whole ROV with the Navio2 this week to test, including camera.

Best,

Rusty

Hi,

I did use the image from Emlid and clone ArduSub. Compiling ‘make navio2-bluerov’ took a while but as far I can tell there were no errors. Do you know how can I run it now? ArduSub command is not recognized; Emlid cmd for quad is: sudo ArduCopter-quad -A udp:192.168.1.2:14550.

-Grega

here is my make navio2-bluerov log…

makelog (21 KB)

Find ArduSub.elf. I think it should be in ardupilot/ArduSub/ArduSub.elf.
Make the .elf executable.
‘sudo chmod +x ArduSub.elf’
Run the executable.
‘./ArduSub.elf -A udp:whateveripyouwant:14550’
I haven’t done this myself, I just looked here.
http://www.emlid.com/navio-apm/

If someone else is trying GStreamer to work…

first I followed the instructions from Emlid:
$ sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-libav
It did not work. Error: gst-launch-1.0: command not found.

after installing gstreamer1.0-tools and gstreamer1.0 I am able to stream video.
sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0-tools sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0

to start video streaming on PI:
$ raspivid -n -w 1280 -h 720 -b 1000000 -fps 15 -t 0 -o - | gst-launch-1.0 -v fdsrc ! h264parse ! rtph264pay config-interval=10 pt=96 ! udpsink host=<remote_ip> port=9000

Thank you Jacob, it works!

$ Raspberry Pi 2 with BCM2709!