New Product: Lithium Battery Charger!

Originally published at: New Product: Lithium Battery Charger! - Blue Robotics

Hey there, friends! We’ve got an energizing new product today- a Lithium Battery Charger perfect for our high capacity Lithium-ion Battery (14.8V, 18Ah)! This 300W charger can charge at up to 20A, so it can charge our battery in 1-2 hours at the recommended 10A charge rate, while still having plenty of headroom for even larger batteries.

This charger can be powered by 100-240V AC wall power, or a 10-28V DC power supply, so it has plenty of flexibility wherever you may be. With built in balancing and discharge capability, your batteries of any chemistry can safely be kept in top condition for maximum performance and lifespan!

That's it for today!

If you have any thoughts, please join the related discussion on our forums here!

2 Likes

Nice! Does it include the required cable to connect to the Li Ion battery? How simple is the programming? Can it be controlled from a computer?

Hi Paul,

Yes, the charger comes with two XT90 charge adapters for connecting to our 18Ah lithium ion battery or any other battery with an XT90 discharge plug. There is no PC link functionality, but up to 10 profiles can be saved for different batteries.

-Adam

Is there a pre-configured profile for the B.R. LIon battery? I know several people are looking for a super simple, plug and play charging solution.

Paul,

There is not currently a pre-configured profile, but we could definitely implement that in the future. However, it is very easy to select the proper setting, as described in the documentation, and these settings will not be changed after a power cycle. If you wish to only charge one battery, the battery type and current setting need to only be selected once.

-Adam

“Easy” is always a relative term. I think most people who are new to LiPo and Li Ion powered drones will want a “plug and play” solution to battery charging. My experience with Hobby King battery chargers is that the instructions are about as clear as mud. Hopefully the B.R. charger is a lot better.

can i have the pictorial layout of how charge the lithium battery?

is there an instruction manual that i can refer to?

Hi @Eu574ch1o Your charger should have an included manual with more details, but here is our documentation for which settings to use.

Kevin, thanks for your reply.
Refer to picture, just to check if this reading show charging ?

It looks good to me, you’re charging at 5A, which is fine and safe, just a bit slow. You can go up to a 10A balance charge and still charge safely. The system will beep at you loudly around 16.8V to let you know when you are done charging.

Kevin,

how do i change the amp setting?

@Eu574ch1o

With a battery connected, turn the charger on.

You should be in the Balance Charge mode.

Press “Enter” for one second, do NOT hold it, or you will begin the charging process. You will notice the “Li-Po” status to begin flashing.

Click “Enter” one more time and your “X.XA” value will begin flashing. Use the “+” and “-” keys to adjust your Amp charge value to 10.0.

Click “Enter” one last time to exit changing the parameters.

Are there some tips for using the charger in discharge mode?

I’d like to quickly discharge the battery at 9A or so into a 12V battery with low (10.5V) voltage. The charger starts the discharge cycle and ramps up to 9A but then quickly tapers back to about 0.9A-1A.

Looks like maybe you need an external load to discharge at higher rates than 20W, even in DCHG+ mode? I found the discharge power setting, but can’t set it higher than 20W. For now I’ll charge my 12V Pb battery using the BR battery as the supply, that’s working okay.

1 Like