Well, this is sort of on topic. I am using the thrusters for another application, but wanted to do a proof of concept before moving further. So I setup a control box with an arduino and a 4S 10000maH battery pack. I mounted the thrusters on a PVC frame that crossed the kayak, putting a thruster on each side. This happened to lie in a natural cross slot on my kayak under the stretch hold downs, so I didn’t attach it otherwise. I added two arms on the pvc crossover which allowed the thrusters to rotate up and onto the kayak when not in use and rotate down and into the water beside me. I ran the thrusters at various speeds and found that they could really make the kayak move when at about 1700 on the PWM setting, my selected top due to current draw above that. I ran back and forth across a bay and was seriously cruising. It ran for quite a long time and performed very well. Running the thruster at lower settings worked well, just not as quickly.
As was stated previously, I don’t think it would be much help in a wind situation as the torque isn’t there unless you had more thrusters.
For the batteries, I plan to run 2 packs in parallel for more run time. Charging with multiple packs will certainly be a challenge…
Recently I saw the packs that I had purchased were on sale for half the price, putting them at $29 each, so I picked up a couple more packs for my project.
My kayak was a composite 14’ manitou, weighing 44 pounds, with me at about 160 pounds.
One thing I did find was that I could have made the down legs longer on the frame. When I used side weight shift to make turns, the upside thruster was barely in the water.
Programming the arduino was pretty easy using existing library functions.
Hope this helps!