Fathom X wireless topside

Ok got, it, reconfigured the WiFi interface to a static IP of 192.168.2.1 and that allowed me to sign back in. I put in the address reservations for the Pi and my computer respectively, did a restart of the system, but still no connection to QGC. Anything I’m missing?

You can’t assign the surface computer the same ip address as the router!

The computer needs to be 192.168.2.1, the router needs to be 192.168.2.<anything other than 1 or 2>

I’ll rewrite setup this evening, I haven’t actually hooked it up to pi/qgc since last year.

Thanks, this networking stuff is a bit difficult for me to wrap my head around.

Here’s what I thought I had:

1. Personal Computer: Static IP set to 192.168.2.1. Also set to this in the Address reservation with the MAC from the WiFi card.
  2. RPi3: IP address deleted from from /boot/cmdline.txt. (maybe this should be added back in?) Address reservation set to 192.168.2.2 with MAC for Pi.
  3. Router: Static IP set to 192.168.2.3

That sounds right. I’ll do a beginning to end setup tonight.

Here you go @kevink: Redirecting...

It is a bit crazy, you have to log into the router on 3 different IPs throughout the process.

1 Like

Thanks @jwalser I got my wireless fixed, good instructions!

The key for me was that I had to remove the static IP (192.168.2.1) from my wired Ethernet interface, change that over to DHCP, and then set a static IP in my WiFi interface (192.168.2.1).

Ok, it works, great! but… As far as I know you should not need to set a static ip on the wifi interface (I didn’t).

Hey Jacob and Kevin,

Thank you guys, I successfully setup the same wifi connection reading your comments.

I was just wondering one last thing. What sort of range and latency do you guys have? Any constructive feedback is welcome!

Cheers,
Antoine

Hi @Antoine,

Great, glad it works for you! I haven’t tested the range, but it probably won’t be super fantastic, maybe 300ft at best? I was going to try something like a Ubiquiti Bullet sometime down the line: UISP airMAX BulletM 2 GHz Radio – Ubiquiti Inc.

The latency with a 1080p camera also isn’t so great. It works fine with telemetry and control, but chokes a bit on the video. I was going to try the ELP 720p camera mentioned in the components section of ArduSub and see if that reduces the latency: Hardware Components | ardusub-gitbook

I’ve spent a chunk of the afternoon working on this and having some mixed results. I’m currently using a Tp-Link Archer C2 router. I chose this so I could add a big external antenna.

Anyway, I removed the static IP for the RPi and have gone through the various setups listed in the GitHub Book. So this doesn’t have the various modes to select so I went straight to setting the static ip to 192.168.2.3. I reserved the MAC/IP addresses for the pi and the topside computer. Reboot and connect to Wifi. Launch QGC and I get video but it won’t connect to the ROV. I plug in the Ethernet cable to the topside computer and QGC connects to the ROV but no video. Connect to WiFi and Ethernet and I get both data and Video. I’m very confused!

update: so I’ve done a little bit of exploring. The raspberry pi is not showing up on the list of dhcp devices in the router admin. When I connect to the network on my iPad and check the devices with the Fing app, it shows the raspberry pi with the IP as 192.168.2.101. I’m guessing that’s my problem. If I connect my computer over Wi-Fi and Ethernet it shows up the network list twice too.

Thanks!

A total system reboot seems to have fixed it all. I’m now wireless!

2 Likes

Please keep us updated, it would be great if you get it working smoothly. I’ve been wondering whether 802.11ac might be the solution for the latency issues.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

I am quite new to my blue rov 2 and I’m not a computer wiz.

I did manage to get my rov wireless, although the nano router in the walk through does not seem to give me a steady video stream. It keeps lagging out.

I will give this another try one day. However, my problem now is that I can’t get it back to wired mode. I get the video working flawlessly, and I can record. But no controls…

So right now I’m giving out lagging vids to customers.

Please help! Quick!

Hi @Petmonkey,

A wireless topside is always going to be slower than a direct wired connection. You can try dropping the video size and the frame rate on the Companion Camera Page, but it is always going to be laggy. There may be some super-fast Wi-Fi modems out there, but we haven’t tried any yet.

If you’re having issues getting back to wired mode, you can always re-flash the SD card on the Raspberry Pi and get back to normal.

@kklemens,

It definitely does depend on the speed of the wireless modem.

I use a 300Mb wireless modem and have no trouble viewing the video though there is an acceptable amount of lag which is to be expected.

Regards,
TCIII AVD

If you want to get it back to wired mode, you need to re-image the sd card inside of the Pi according to to the instructions here.

Has anyone tried using the IOS Qgroundcontrol over wifi? Obviously it wouldn’t work over ethernet, but it’d be really useful to be able to use ones phone to control their ROV over wifi.

Yes, I have done that.
I use a router, usually wired to a PC, the BlueROV and ship systems.
When I switch on wireless on router, and connect iPhone set to 192.168.2.1 it can Control the BlueROV.
Using screen Joystick works, but is not a good plattform for serious manouvering.

You can try this (at your own risk, not recommended, mileage may vary etc.). Redirecting...