External screen to work under sunlight

Hey guys,

I´ve been looking around for bests computer screens to work under the sunlight as many of us may know is quite impossible to work so going on my research I´ve found this:

Seems like the ASUS MB168 15.6” WXGA 1366×768 USB Powered Portable Monitor, is best option for those who doesnt want to spend over 3K on a new computer .

It provides 1920 x 1080 resolution which is not only awe-inspiring for watching full HD movies but also gives a boost to your productivity work.

Besides these this USB powered portable monitor also features a 500:1 contrast ratio to display rich colors and realistic photos and videos. As well as a 0.252mm pixel pitch that shows detailed text and graphics. You can also view best Graphics Cards. No doubt it gives you the amazing experience of fast and fluid graphics from your connected device that makes having an on-the-go multi-display setup a reality.

What best in it?

The best thing about This USB powered portable monitor is that in whatever lighting conditions you are i.e whether you are in a dimly lit room or outside in hot burning sunlight, its screen is designed in such a way that it adjusts automatically to the current lighting conditions. Actually, it is provided with a built-in ambient light sensor that will smartly detect the current lighting condition and adjust the screen as needed for the best viewing possible.And in addition to This, the portable monitor has come with another astounding feature i.e. it automatically adjusts to the orientation that you have the screen set at – either portrait or landscape.

MB168B comes with ASUS EzLink technology that offloads graphics processing from the PC to dedicated hardware in the monitor. As a result, your laptop can drive up to five MB168B monitors at the same time, regardless of its own graphics capability provided that it just needs sufficient USB ports. EzLink also automatically restores application window positions as MB168B is connected and disconnected, and automatically rotates the image between landscape and portrait modes, as required.

What do you guys think about this?? cost is around 200 USD… very nice price tbh. Please leave up your feedback.

Luis,

I’ve been using a AOC e1759Fwu 17-Inch installed on the lid of my Pelican case with great results. But you will need a sun shade in order to operate in direct sunlight.

Regards

Heinz

1 Like

hey @force10windsurf

seems like with this ASUS you might have to forget about the sunshades. IDK I just want to know if anybody here have ever tried one of this.

Regards,

Luis

I bought one of the GeChic 2501H monitors (now discontinued) a few years ago and it’s been working fine for me as an extendable display on HDMI.

For that ASUS one, look closer at the manufacturer’s website: https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Monitors/MB168B/
It says it can only do 1366×768 over USB, not the 1920 x 1080 that the review mistakenly says. This was one of my deciding factors when I was looking at external monitors, I wanted something at 1080p.

So if you want the lower resolution and just want to plug it in with a USB, I’d say the ASUS would be fine. If you want 1080, I’d have a look at the more recent GeChic ones.

I don’t have direct experience with that model but according to ASUS specifications the brightness is only 200 cd/m2. That is not very bright, if you want to use it in sunlight without a shade I doubt it will work for you.

Working in the sun, you should choose head mounted displays, models with HDMI inputs

Hey @kevink

The correct one is this:

is the MB168B+ which actually is 1920+1080p Full HD over an USB Cable.

what do you say about this? should it be good enough?

Regards,
Luis

Ah ok, that one looks fine. I don’t think that one was available when I was shopping around the last time.

Just a note and I can’t confirm it, but USB might be a bit slower display than a dedicated HDMI or VGA display port: Multiple monitors-USB vs. DVI vs. HDMI | Elite Trader It will probably be fine for ROV work, but just be cautious because we have all the other accessories we need to plug into USB ports. I’d be interested in hearing what your results are if you get one.

1 Like

I’ve used 1000CD /m2 screens and they work well under sunlight, but they don’t usually come with a case and high - brightness screens generally require good heat dissipation.(Need to install some fan for colling.)
BOE and AUO make great outdoor screens.

We build 1000 nit screens into our topside consoles. The black one is 17", the orange one is 10". We usually use LG screens