ESC mounting question

@Rusty-Attached is a picture of how the ESC’s are mounted to the side of the battery pack using silicon sealant. Should I be concerned about ESC heat dissipation with one side being solid against the battery pack?

Thanks,

Richard

Richard,

I mentioned this in the other post as well. I would not recommend mounting the ESCs with silicone because they can overheat and the silicone is an excellent insulator. Additionally, the battery will also warm up as it discharges so it will provide little or no heat sinking capability. I would recommend mounting the ESCs in free air if possible.

Best,

Rusty

@Richard,

You can permanently attach your ESCs to, say an aluminum heat sink plate, using Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive.

Regards,

TCIII AVD

Got it, thanks.

Hi there, looking at the Bluerov basic ESC; do you have any understanding of the maximum temperature these get to under heavy load?

I’m just looking at mounting these on a specific heatsink in order to close down on the space between them. We are trying to integrate a bit more equipment within the main pod and could do with a bit more room…

Are there any other consideration in respect of mounting the ESCs? Do we need to be considerate of RF generation within them at all and cross talk?

Hi @Savante,

Under heavy load, I have seen the Basic ESCs get up to 120°C- that’s running a T200 at constant full throttle 20 v in artificial static conditions. Unless you are running them in a prticulairly demanding application, additional cooling shouldn’t be necessary, heat posses no issue to the ESCs on the BlueROV2 for example.

The ESCs will not interfere with each other, but I2C, serial, and other communication lines should be routed clear of them and the thruster cables to avoid interference in those lines.

-Adam

Thanks; I was going to go and solder each thruster penetrator wire to the respective ESC and then try and close them up as much as possible. Rather than use the chock-block terminals.