Building a rov from the scratch

I am a student and we plan on making an rov as our project. I need insight on the hardware we need to make an rov. The idea is to create a simple rov that gives live feedback from under the water. I’ll provide what little details are needed but it would be appreciated if you give me a list of products to use for the project. An early response would be appreciated.

There are a few scratch built ROVs across the forums and others. Please list what your requirements are (what you want it to do) and we’ll the best advice we can.

The basic requirements are for the rov to be working underwater, giving live feedback and not crushing our budget(which bdw is not fixed at the point). We planned on using the raspberry pi from our previous project to control the camera, thrusters and the LED’s, but as i started studying more about the topic I kind of got lost with the way things work, ESCs are used to control the speed or power of the thrusters, which i have never known about before, tether interfaces are used for the tether cables to give live feedback and a lot more that I’ve never known about, it’s a whole new world for me. Detail’s on how much we might need to spend along with the basic or necessary hardware required to build one almost solves most of the current problems. Thanks and might have stretched it unnecessarily.

@Faraznisar,
You might want to have a look at the OpenROV 2.8 ROV. It can be purchased as a kit or you can buy individual pieces and build it yourself. The cost of the kit will give you an idea of the total cost of parts for a basic ROV and the cost of spare parts in the OROV Store will give you an idea of the cost of individual pieces.

Building a basic ROV to dive to around 100 ft will not be cheap as you can see from taking a look at the cost of an OROV 2.8 ROV.

Regards,
TCIII AVD

@Faraznisar I agree with @tciii that an OpenROV 2.8 kit is probably the cheapest you can get into building your own ROV (unless you want to go with something made out of PVC pipes and bilge pumps).

If you want to build your own, take a look a look at the ArduSub documentation and the available electronics packages.