Bubbles on the Dome

Hello all,

I finally was able to get the vehicle in the water today. The issue I am having is bubbles on the outside of the dome. Usually, they can be brushed off, but in this case, I had to lower it down 15 feet or so into the water, so I can’t get to it to brush them off. Any thoughts on maybe treating the surface of the dome with something?? See screen shot.

Try some washing liquid or rainex

@k-deboer - We’re usually able to clear the bubbles by diving quickly or moving forward quickly. The water flow will knock them off.

-Rusty

No… it does not! Especially in seawater it needs up to 5 Minutes the camera does not focus the bubbles and I can recognize the situation underwater. The bubble problem appears when the ROV is at the surface and the propellers are pushing the air into the water. I am really looking for a solution, it is really a problem.

Did anyone get experiences with lotus spray?
Maybe the pearl effect works with gas bubbles, too…

@dr_stony My only experience is with freshwater, but I regularly clear the bubbles by doing a quick yaw at 100% gain then reversing direction. It’s a quick left-right (or right-left :wink:) maneuver to try to use the lateral water flow to rip the bubbles off.

I’m looking through my videos to try to find a good example and the best one that I have found so far is 1:31 in this video: BlueROV2 Lake Coeur d’Alene Blue Creek Bay 7/17/2021 - YouTube

@dr_stony I keep a little squeeze bottle with diluted baby shampoo, and rub a little of this on the dome before going in the water. I’ve used this for years as a mask defog for scuba diving, and it turns out it works great on ROVs too.

-W

hello! I recently met a problem. When I see the video recorded from the QGC, I find a lot of water drop in the picture.

Do you know how to remove the water drop? Thank you very much!!

We normally get this on the first dive of the day, air bubbles on the dome - best solution we find is to just have gain to 100% and dive down a metre or so and then yaw side to side a couple of times - this normally clears them. Then switch to lower gain for more control etc.

Thank you for your reply!! I’ll try it later

If problem continues with depth - try a smear (very light) or washing up liquid on the dome to break the water surface tension

Thank you for your reply!! I tried some nanomaterials, but it did not work. Do you have any recommendations? Thank you very much!!

I just use “fairy liquid” but any washing up liquid is usually fine, trick is to only have a very light smear of it I’ve found (cleans the scanning sonar transducer dome nicely also if used there!)

Try to use regular dishwashing detergents over the dome ( use a soft cotton embebed to spread )just before the dive

Thank you for your advice!!

Thank you for your advice!

Hi,
We are using a 2 inches aluminium locking series enclosure with and acrylic end for a time lapse camera. After a few deploys in a fish tank (with fresh water and no more than 30cm of depth) for test the camera system the stills appear full of bubbles in the external side (we guess) of the acyclic end. After check the stills we notice that the bubbles appear as soon the enclosure is on the water.

Any suggestions to avoid the bubbles?
Cheers
Axa

We have used acrylic polish in the past to buff out any imperfections in the dome.

If you are to try this method, we suggest trying in a small spot first to see if there are no adverse reactions.

Once polished, the air should not get trapped on imperfections.

Also, just give the housing a shake, to shake off those bubbles when you first submerged the unit.

Kind regards

Deep Supplies

Quando os hélices são ligadas fazendo bolhas na superfície acontece isso , experimente ligar os hélices abaixo de um metro e nunca acima

When the propellers are turned on close to the surface they make bubbles. Try turning on the propellers below one meter and never above

To avoid bubbles of the dome, I was successful during deployment in seawater, last time.

I took a lot of dishwasher detergent on a cleaning rag and hang it up for drying. Before deploying the ROV in the water, I wiped the dry dome with the dry rag. It worked… The first time, I had a clear view at the beginning of the dive.

1 Like

Hi @dr_stony,

I’ve moved your post (and a collection of other posts and comments) into this shared thread, as they are all on the same topic. Hopefully having all the suggested solutions in one place is useful :slight_smile: