Ardusub initial setup

All,

I can confirm that the Windows version of QGC is now working. Remember, you don’t have to set up anything special in QGC. It should connect automatically. If you have any trouble, try disabling the Windows firewall or other firewall software.

-Rusty

Rusty and everybody!

Finally I can put to work the QGC! Tank’s for everyone help to this Challenger with the QGC on Windows. Now I will finish the assembly of my hardware on board of ROV and go to underwater! I am very happy after some moths with little problems with Bill Gates and our Project. Tanks alote!

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Congratulations!! Can You explain your process for Stablish a full connection (video and data) of QGC and RPI/px4? You make some change in the process explain in the bluerobotics initial setup o not?

well done!!

Hi Jonathan,

Excellent! I’m glad it is working well for you.

Cristian,

The instructions on ArduSub.com should be sufficient to set up this connection fully right now. If you run into any trouble, please let me know.

-Rusty

<hr />

Hi rusty,

Thanks for your coments, today i could receive the video streaming using qgroundcontrol for windows but i have a lot of latency and image distorsion. I try to modify some parameters in video_start.sh and the video streaming got a little better but not enough.

Rusty, what setting parameters for raspivid you use in video_start.sh for send a good quality video streaming??

Greetings!!

Cristian,

We use the parameters that are in the default start_video.sh file. We generally see about 200ms latency and clear video without any distortion. Can you tell me more about your setup? What Raspberry Pi version are you using? What camera?

How is your Raspberry Pi connected to your computer?

Thanks!

-Rusty

Hi rusty,

Thanks for your reply, i use the raspberry pi 2 model B V1.1 and the raspberry pi camera rev 1.3 (black color version) the raspberry is conected over ethernet to my computer (rj45 cable) also i try conecting to my router and connect using wifi but i have the same trouble, high latency when capture movements. The pixhawk is conected over usb to my raspberry and i have all sensor data and motor control with joystick, only have a video problem.

many thanks for your help.

Greetings!!

Hi Cristian,

Okay. I haven’t tried this on a Raspberry Pi 2 in a while. It should probably be fine but it could be a little slower. Can you also tell me more about your computer? The computer has to decompress and display the video, so it is possible that it could be causing the slowness.

-Rusty

Thanks for your reply rusty,

The computer is a core i3 with 4gb ram, i don’t think was a problem. well, if you haven’t tried with the raspberry pi 2 maybe that is the reason for a pour videostreaming quality. what model of raspberry you recomend me for try and test the system?

thanks for all

Cristian,

We are using the Raspberry Pi 3 with the Raspberry Pi Camera v2. Can you take a picture or video of the distortion that you are seeing?

-Rusty

Hey Rusty,

I also still have poor quality video streaming. This is with Raspberry Pi 3 and I have tried both the V1/V2 cam with the same “smudging” issues. This is with Intel Celeron N2840 and 4 gb ram. I am still getting errors while trying to change camera modes on the pi. I can’t seem to install updates as well so I’m guessing that is part of the issues.

I will take a screen shot as well.

-Ryan

Ryan,

What operating system are you using on your control computer running QGC? So far we’ve found it works fine on Linux, OS X and Windows 10. We haven’t had good video experiences with Windows 7 and I can’t speak if anyone has tried 8/8.1.

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

I am running on Windows 10. I can also confirm that the video stream doesn’t work on Windows 7. Everything else seems to work great. I hope to test everything in the water this weekend. Last thing to get right is the video.

The video will be clear one minute and the next it looks like water colors…

Ryan

Hmm well that’s interesting…You mentioned you can’t install updates, I’m assuming you went through all the update steps to get the latest drivers etc: http://ardusub.com/raspi-setup/#easy-setup-with-disk-image

If so, where was your hang-up?

I just used the Ardusub-Raspbian image on that page. I am also new to using the Pi so i’m learning as I go. I have tried the updates (sudo apt-update) through Putty without success. I also tried a wifi dongle using tutorials but still can not get updates.

Thanks ok, I’m pretty new too, I had to have Rusty walk me through a lot of this.

It sounds like you aren’t connected to the Internet, but you can SSH into your device. You can do this by enabling the Wifi module on the RPi3 (not the dongle) and connecting to your home wifi. Instructions here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/wireless-cli.md

Let me know how far you get.

Ryan,

A screenshot or video capture of the screen would be helpful. You shouldn’t have to update anything to get this to work well. The stock image on ArduSub.com is not very old.

-Rusty

Thanks for the help. I will give that a try when I get home. Rusty, I will also post a screenshot of the issues I’m talking about.

Hi guys,

Rusty, please check the video. i show what is my problem with the video streaming, today i try installing the qgroundcontrol in linux (ubuntu 16LTS) but i don’t have video streaming only have mavlink data and joystick. i was try with linux because many people in the forum say the qgroundcontrol works instantaneally in linux but i don’t have good results, what version of qgroundcontrol did you use with linux?? or maybe need test with older version of ubuntu??

Please check the video and i will waith for your coments, many thanks!!

Hi Cristian,

Interesting. I would try changing two lines in start_video.sh to the following:

--bitrate 15000000 \ --intra 1 \

That may help in Windows. These are the settings from the most updated version of the “companion” code, but the SD card image does not have those settings yet.

-Rusty