ArduSub firmware not recognizing outboard pressure sensor

Hi All,

When running ArduSub firmware on the BBBMINI, the outboard pressure sensor connected to the BBBMINI I2C bus is not being recognized by the firmware.

Regards,

TCIII AVD

Fix in the works: https://github.com/bluerobotics/ardusub/tree/BBBMini-baro
Please let me know if you see scaled_pressure2 message in mavlink inspector.
-Jacob

Hi Jacob,

We ran jaxxzer’s binary test build and either I have a defective BR Pressure sensor or we still have issues with the I2C driver as I am still only seeing a SCALED_PRESSURE parameter and not a SCALED_PRESSURE2 parameter. I am seeing GND_PRIMARY as being 2ndbaro.

Regards,

TCIII AVD

Hi Jacob,

I have added 4.7k pull up resistors to the MINI SDA and SCL lines and there has been still no joy.

Using i2cdetect -r 2 returned addresses: 0x54 -0x57, but nothing at 0x76 on the external BBB I2C bus.

BBBMINI users using ArduCopter have reported that they cannot access a second MS5611 on the BBB external I2C bus so the problem may be in the Debian Kernel.

Regards,

TCIII AVD

Rusty pointed this out to me yesterday. Main kernel support for ms5611:

-Jacob

@Jacob,

Thanks for the link, much appreciated.

Regards,

TCIII AVD

Hi All,

Mirko was able to get the MS5837 pressure sensor working with the BBBMINI: BBBmini - diydrones

Regards,

TCIII AVD

Rasp Pi 3 - Navio2. Ardusub built from source on Pi.

Cannot see how to get second Baro (depth sensor: Bar30 MS5837-30BA) configured.

The device is present on I2C bus at 0x76 (onboard baro at 0x77) - but no SCALED_PRESSURE2 messages.

Code inspection (I am new to this!) - I could see nowhere where a second baro gets added; I guess I could force it by substituting it for the onboard one (which is useless underwater anyway); but my reading indicates that t should be working, I don’t want to wander too far off the path!

Thanks

Julian

@Julian,

Try reading ArduSub Gitter starting with July 22 for a discussion concerning the operation of the MS5837 pressure sensor.

You will need to start with something like this.

https://github.com/bluerobotics/ardusub/commit/d19b506f0121b2fe8ba925b7164af481e950705c

See also (shouldn’t have to change anything here)

@TCII - thanks for the reference.

@Jacob: that is rather what I expected to find, I had this idea it was in the code already and I was missing something.

Thanks

[Sensor now working: for anyone else with Navio2 the MS5837 is on I2C bus 1 (not 2 like the BBB_Mini) at address 0x76]

Great. Did you set use_timer to true or false? If you can post the changes you made, we can get them incorporated to master.

-Jacob

Initially without timer; just tried with timer - no noticeable difference (update rate etc).

Not sure of the implications, so prefer timer=false for now.

Happy to create a branch and PR if that is the way forward, else diffs - or what would preference be?

Julian

Hi All,

Mirko’s latest BBBMINI baro build, https://github.com/bluerobotics/ardusub/tree/pr/bbbminibar30, has gotten the MS5837 pressure sensor working correctly with the BBBMINI.

See ArduSub Gitter for additional information.

Regards,

TCIII AVD