Alternatives to Scotchcast potting compound?

Hi.
Does anyone have any tips to less expensive or more practical potting compounds than Scotchcast?
The mixing bag is nice for larger jobs, but the pot life is short and if you just want to fix one penetrator etc, you would have to open the two bags and manually measure the resin etc.
Is there any alternative polyurethane resins that comes in practical sizes (like 1kg) that has the same sticky bonding ability?

Thanks

Scotchcast comes in different size packages. What size are you using?

Hello Magnus,

Scotchcast 2130 is fire retardant and very pricey but the scotchcast 82-A1 is much cheaper and does the same.

It comes in various sizes.

Be careful to check the expiry date.

Alternatively, I would think any electrical insulating resin would work.

You could try something like this: https://www.amazon.com/ELECTRONIC-GRADE-Epoxy-Resin-System/dp/B01J1G1V7Y

Cheers,
E.

Thanks for the tips.

@canman172 i have been using the 2131 210g resin bags and done a larger batch of penetrators. I havent found Norwegian suppliers with other sizes than this, and the

@etienne It seems like the 82-A1 is a splice kit. Whats the name of just the resin?

I believe PUR compounds are especially nice, since they have some flexibility and bonds to a wide variety of materials.

These could be nice alternatives, but there are shipping restrictions to norway :frowning:

It is indeed a splice kit comprising of resin no4

Here is the datasheet: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/129721O/3mtm-scotchcasttm-no-4-resin.PDF

I actually looked at the datasheet and was surprised to see:

Water Absorption DIN 53495
24 h at 23°C 10 mg
42 days at 50°C 140 mg

With the density of the mixed compound of 1.12 g/cm3 it is something to consider if your splice is thin.

2030/2031 do a much better job. I guess you get what you pay for…

I could not get a datasheet for the other product but under waterproofing it says: FOR CONTINUOUS IMMERSION USE

Scotchcast 2131 has Moisture Absorption (ASTM D471) 168 hrs. (7 days) Immersion @ 212ºF (100ºC) 4.9%
Robnor EL171C has Water absorption (30 days @25°C) 0.6 %

Given the amount of time the BR2 is in the water I think all is safe.

I am going to state the obvious here but have you looked at the locktite marine epoxy. BR offer it on their website. https://www.bluerobotics.com/store/tools/loctite-marine-epoxy/

You might be able to find this locally?

i have been using with good results United Resin Corp : E-Cast F-28 Clear / Hardener F-14. I have used it for potting my umbilical splices. It comes in 1 pound 10 ounce containers, and you mix what you need 5 parts to 4 parts.

Thanks for the feedback Darreen. I was actually looking for alternatives to the 2131 again as our supplier has stopped selling these and they seem harder and harder to find, and a google search sent me back to this thread. I dont find much info on the United Resin Corp. Do they only do direct sales? Has anyone found any other more commonly available options? Ive found Electrolube UR5041, which is PUR based, like the scotchcast 2131.